Los Angeles — Building will be first housing in school’s 100-year history.
Los Angeles — A groundbreaking ceremony was held Dec. 16 to launch construction of the first on-campus housing at Southwestern Law School, which was founded in 1911.
The $20 million facility will contain 133 units, a large open-air courtyard and two levels of parking. The university will manage the 60 studio, 53 one-bedroom and 20 two-bedroom fully furnished units, which will be ready for occupancy by fall 2013.The building will be designed to achieve a LEED gold rating.
The project’s principals include Corsini Stark Architects, Symphony Development and MATT Construction. Financing comes from tax-exempt California Municipal Finance Authority Revenue Bonds, issued in October 2011, as well as by private donations raised during the law school’s capital campaign. The school is well-known for restoring the art-deco-era Bullocks Wilshire building, which now houses the law library.
– Lynn Peisner